We’ve all seen them. The same old, tired lists of regurgitated tips on how to blog better. They’re so common, you could probably name most of them in your sleep. I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of them. I want to know what really works.
Since 2006, I’ve been a blogger and have helped thousands of people learn this craft of online publishing. Still, there are days when I feel very much like a newbie.
When I quit my old blog and started a new one, I realized how much I didn’t know about blogging. So I decided to put together my own list of tips — stuff I started doing recently that I should’ve been doing since the beginning.
So whether you’re just getting started or have been blogging for awhile, here are 25 tips to help guide and direct you:
- No copy-catting. Stop trying to be like someone you admire and instead find out what unique offering you have.
- Tell the truth. Never lie, mislead, or cajole. Trust is slowly earned and easily lost.
- Be awesome. There’s enough mediocrity out there. Stop adding to the noise, and do something outstanding.
- Give yourself grace. Be patient; it takes time to find your voice.
- Pick a theme. But realize readers will stick around for your voice, not your subject.